Yesterday was market day, as it is on every Friday, when goods are brought from all over to the same market area that we walked to the previous day. In the last few days, I had developed a cold, likely caught from a cute little two-year old boy in Pennsylvania, so I opted out on another walk to market to instead relax and take a morning nap, hoping to recover from my cold.

I woke and went to the treehouse to blog and access the situation. Power would be a problem again today and the wireless was intermittent. As the class time approached, Bill and Beth had still not returned, so I started setting up the room, expecting to teach the children’s class instead of Bill. Thankfully, they showed up while the Matènwa teachers were finishing an extended staff meeting.

Just before the class started, I called John Engle, who happened to be at Haitian customs, haggling for the laptops. Apparently the customs officials wanted $10,000 for the laptops instead of the hoped for $1000. They didn’t believe the laptops were as inexpensive as we were saying. John asked me if there were any way to find the date of manufacture. We looked all around (but not inside) and could not find one. I suggested John print out a page from Ebay, showing what they were being sold for. I also suggested he and Adam that they find some marketing materials for the “Give One, Get One” period two years ago, since the laptops all came from that time. We’ve got a week to get them out of customs, so here’s hoping they drop the price. If anyone out there knows Bill Clinton, have him give a call 🙂

Bill Stelzer taught the children’s class with Benaja translating. He covered Lesson 3 (Sketches), which is always popular with children. Oddly enough, it was the first time I’ve seen Bill teach children. The many times we’ve been together it was always me teaching while he videotaped. He’s got a natural, helpful, informative manner. I’ve heard from many that he’s a great teacher, but yesterday I got to see it for myself.

During the mentor class, we started by having the mentor teams pick leaders for later communications. I then began covering Lesson 4 (Halos). As feared we lost power, so instead I held Bill’s Mac in the air and described the various handles in detail, rather than showing them. Halos can be taught this way, but later lessons will prove more difficult. Chris assured us that they will borrow a generator and get a gallon of gas for the next lesson.

In the breakdown talk, Benaja, Beth, Bill and I discussed the next day’s schedule, which will be a marathon. Mentors at 8am, then children, then another mentor class. We’re trying to get ahead as next Friday is Good Friday and no class will be held. We’ll also be doubling up with the children on Thursday.

I went back to Robert and Janose’s house, ate some yummy fresh food from the market, and fell straight asleep at 6pm or so. Amazingly, I slept right through to morning (about twelve hours), with only a brief moonlit latrine break around midnight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *